Motorhome rental search

FAQ’s: Frequently Asked Questions

Listed below are some of the motorhome rental FAQ’s (frequently asked questions) about recreational vehicles (RV), camping cars or campervan hire. There is a wide range of types of rental vehicles available, mainly being 2, 4 or 6 berth models suitable for a camping holiday or vacation with partners, friends or family. Depending on the rental company or vehicle used, and the country that you are visiting, the answers can vary. So always check the terms and conditions of any RV, motorhome or campervan rental when booking.

german castles, Eltz Castle on the Rhine River,motorhome rental faq's
Eltz Castle on the Rhine River in Germany

Driver Requirements

What is the minimum age to rent a motorhome?

The minimum age for drivers varies by company and rental location. Usually the minimum age is 21, and there may be additional charges for drivers between the ages of 21 and 25. It is possible, however, to find rentals for drivers aged 18 and over.

Is there a maximum age to rent a motorhome?

The maximum age for drivers also varies. With some companies and in some countries there may be no maximum age stipulation. The only requirement will be to have a full drivers license. In these cases some companies may require drivers to provide a medical certificate from their doctor, once they reach a certain age.

With other companies (or countries), drivers may not be allowed to hire a motorhome over a certain age. 75 years is a common cut off age in these cases. There may also be additional charges and insurance requirements for drivers between the ages of 70 and 75.

Do I need a special licence to rent a motorhome?

A regular car driver’s license is generally all that is needed. Your licence must be valid throughout the rental period, and some companies want you to have had it for a minimum of one or two years before renting from them.

Generally the license needs to be translated in the local language. So for instance if travelling to an English speaking country, if your licence is not in English you may need an accredited translation or International Driver Permit, as well as your local licence.

For those countries that English is not their first language, you will normally need to take an International Driver Permit as well as your local driver’s license.


How do you calculate rental days?

Motorhome rentals are calculated based on calendar days. You’ll pay for a full day on the day you pick up and a full day for the day you drop off, no matter the time of day.

Is there a minimum rental period?

Some companies do have minimum rental periods. If you are picking up your motorhome in one location and returning it at a different location, your minimum rental period may be based on the distance you will be driving. Some companies don’t specify a minimum rental period but charge a higher daily rate for very short bookings.

Can I pick up my motorhome in one city and drop it off in another?

One-way motorhome rentals are very common and generally accommodated. Depending on the rental company, number of days hired, locations and the availability of vehicles; you may be charged a fee for returning your motorhome to a different city.

Can I pick up and drop off in different countries?

Many companies do allow one-way rentals between countries in Europe, North America and southern Africa. There are usually some fees charged this. If you do a search, first try doing a booking from the city you want to start from. Once you have searched, try a second search, and that should give you the option for campervan or motorhome rentals to other countries. If you cannot find what you want, contact reservations and they may be able to help you.

Are there discounts for long-term rentals?

Discounts do vary depending mainly on country of origin. Most campervan hire providers in a particular country will have similar discount rates, though individual operators may offer short term specials not available with other companies. Generally discounts are usually offered for rentals of at least 21 or 30 days; with bigger discounts available for longer rentals, especially over 100 days.

If you book with one company for multiple trips within a specified period of time, you may qualify for a discount by adding all the bookings together.

Short term specials may be available from time to time that include such things as:

  • No one-way charge
  • Free bedding or cutlery/crockery (many companies already include these as standard)
  • Bonus days
  • Free ferry crossing
  • Early Bird Booking Specials

Search online on Go4MotorhomeRental, and you can easily compare rates, as all specials show up on doing a search.

What is included in my campervan booking?

Inclusions vary by rental company, but your rate is likely to include taxes, roadside assistance and some free kilometres or mileage, which may or may not be unlimited. Packages commonly include bed linens and equipment for storing, preparing and cooking food. You may be able to purchase add-ons such as wifi, bike racks, linen exchange or extra gas bottles for cooking or heating. Some companies may also include an option to pre-purchase powered camping sites.

What’s not included in my booking’s cost?

You’ll be responsible for your fuel, tolls unless included in your package and any uncovered insurance excess. If you haven’t purchased an extra gas canister, you’ll probably need to buy a gas re-fill if your motorhome has a gas cooker. Unless you’ve purchased additional coverage, you’ll be responsible for damage to tyres or windscreen. You can expect to be held responsible for any damage that is due to misuse of the vehicle or violation of the rental company’s rules as to when and where the motorhome can be driven. Camping sites are also not included, though powered sites are sometimes available as an optional extra.

Can I take my Pet with me?

Pet policies vary by company and vehicle. Those that allow pets are likely to charge a cleaning fee, although it may be waived for service animals. Some companies do not allow animals in any of their vehicles, and some exclude them only from certain models.

Support animals for people requiring a service dog for those that have a disability, therapy or emotional support dog are usually allowed by all companies. You need to let the company know when booking.

When travelling with a dog or cat, it should be noted that their are no animal restraints in a motorhome or campervan rental. You need to make some provision for restraining them in a vehicle, probably ideally in an animal carrier. Otherwise when you are driving, your best friend will be sliding everywhere, as the floors in most vehicles are generally made from lino, which will not allow the animal any grip when going round corners or braking.

In North America companies that allow pets include:

  • Cruise America
  • Cruise Canada
  • Compass
  • El Monte RV
  • Happy Holidays

If visiting Australia or New Zealand then these motorhome rental companies will accept pets:

  • Apollo
  • Cheapa Campas
  • Hippie Motorhomes

When travelling with your favourite pooch or cat, please always advise the rental company on booking.

Rates, Fees and Charges

What are seasonal rates?

Every location will have a high season when there is a greater demand for motorhome rentals, and a low season when there is less demand. You can expect to pay more during the high season, as there will be fewer vehicles available. Other expenses, such as campsite fees, may vary by season as well.

Where do your prices come from and can they change?

Prices shown on the Go4MotorhomeRental website are provided by the individual rental companies. Some listings show live availability, meaning your booking can be confirmed immediately and your rate locked in. Some listings require the rental company to check availability before confirming your booking, and in those cases it’s possible the final price will be different. Before you are charged, we always confirm that you want to go ahead with the booking. In all cases, once your booking is confirmed the price will not change.

Is there an insurance excess/vehicle liability and can it be reduced?

Motorhome rentals will include some basic insurance coverage and you will have the opportunity to purchase excess reduction and additional coverage. You may also buy your own separate policy to reduce excess. Your credit card company may offer some coverage as well.

Is there a cancellation fee if I cancel my booking?

This will vary by company. Some will ask for a non-refundable deposit when you make your booking. Others will refund the deposit as long as you cancel within a certain amount of time. Depending on when you cancel, you may be charged some portion of the total rental amount. And you won’t get any refund for picking your motorhome up late or turning it in early. Check the terms and conditions when booking.

Can I hire a booster, baby or child seat for the motorhome?

Most rental companies do have booster, baby and child seats for hire, or you may be able to use your own. You’ll want to check with your rental company, though, to make sure the motorhome or campervan you’ve chosen has the right kind of seating configuration and tethering system for your seats. Some companies only have restraints for child seats in some of their vehicle models.

Can l book a GPS for my trip?

If these items are available for your motorhome rental you will be able to request them during the booking process. Unable to find a vehicle with GPS, then contact our friendly team, who will see if they can find a suitable vehicle for you.

Picking up your RV, Motorhome or Campervan

On the day of pick-up, what will l need with me?

You will need your local drivers licence and a major credit card in your name. If you are providing your own additional insurance you should bring that documentation with you as well.

Those renting a vehicle in a foreign country will also require their passport and if their driving licence is not in the same language as the main language of the country you are visiting, you will probably need an International Drivers Permit.

Will I need a credit card to collect my motorhome?

Yes, you will need a valid major credit card in your name when you pick up your motorhome. Most companies will also accept debit cards. However, it should be noted that many motorhome rental operators will charge the full amount of the security bond on pick up, plus the credit card surcharge fee. They then refund you the security bond at the end of the rental, but not the credit card surcharge fee.

The only way to get around this, is to take out the excess reduction insurance provided by the motorhome rental company. This significantly reduces the amount of the security bond.

Other companies just put a hold on the credit card, until you come back and then charge if necessary. When booking check the motorhome rental companies terms and conditions to see what your options are.

Will a security deposit be required to collect my motorhome?

Yes, you can expect a hold to be placed on your credit or debit card for a security deposit, or bond, on your motorhome. Most companies will charge your credit card and then refund the bond when you return the motorhome undamaged.

Can we include additional drivers?

Yes. Each driver will need to meet the rental company’s requirements regarding age and licencing, and each driver will need to produce their drivers licence in person at the rental office. There are sometimes fees for additional drivers.

Can I pick up my vehicle when the depot is closed?

You will generally need to collect your motorhome during the rental company’s office hours. Some hire companies have an after hours pick up office. It may be possible to make other arrangements directly with the rental company, although this may incur additional fees.

Are transfers available?

Transfers may be included with your rental, or you may be able to arrange transfers with the RV rental company.

Can motorhomes be delivered to my hotel?

Most companies will not deliver your motorhome to your hotel, though a few may do. Campervan rental companies often have transfers available to the depot from local, airport or central city accommodation. If you want to do this, put a note in the booking to see if they offer this service.

How long does it take to collect my campervan?

You should plan to spend about an hour going over paperwork and being shown your motorhome. Staff like to make sure that you are familiar with the operation of the vehicle before you leave, so they take some time showing you round. Most companies would also include an easy operation manual to use. You may have a longer wait if the rental office is very busy, so check to see if there’s a best time to pick up your vehicle.

Where can l find the motorhome depot address and the office hours?

Branch address and hours are found on the results pages when you search for a motorhome, and your booking confirmation will also include this information.

Can I change the vehicle type at pick-up?

This may be possible, but only if another vehicle is available and not required for another hire. The rental price and other fees and charges may differ.

On your Road Trip

Where can I camp?

It is recommended that you camp at established campgrounds and RV parks that can accommodate your vehicle and provide necessary services. Facilities vary widely according to location. In some countries you may be allowed to park overnight away from a campsite or holiday park, although you won’t have electrical or water hook-ups. Your rental company can provide guidebooks or direct you to helpful websites and apps according to where you will be traveling.

Are motorhomes manual or automatic transmission?

Both automatic and manual transmission vehicles are available depending on the region and company. Some rental companies offer one or the other, and some offer both. The transmission type may vary according to the model of motorhome, and sometimes the same model will be available in either manual or automatic.

In North America only automatics are available, whereas in Europe and Southern Africa mainly manuals are provided. In Australia and New Zealand there tends to be a good mixture of both manual and auto vehicles available.

Can I drive my motorhome on all roads?

Each rental company has specific policies regarding where motorhomes can be driven, so you’ll want to check your company’s policies carefully before heading out. Restrictions typically vary according to type of motorhome and location. Many motorhomes cannot be driven on unsealed roads, for example, but exceptions may be made for short roads leading to designated RV campgrounds. Locations that are very remote, experience extreme weather conditions or are very congested may be off-limits.

What happens if my RV breaks down?

Motorhome rentals generally include roadside assistance. You will be provided with contact information and instructions on what to do if you have any problems. You may be able to arrange minor repairs and be reimbursed by the rental company, but be sure to check in with them first. The company may charge for non-mechanical assistance such as retrieving keys locked in the vehicle or charging a dead battery.

What if I have a traffic infringement?

The rental company will bill you for any traffic infringement charges you incur, including parking and speeding fines. Some companies may add administrative fees of their own.

What if I have an accident in our campervan?

Your rental company should provide you with detailed instructions for how to proceed in the event of an accident. You may be required to notify law enforcement and photograph any damage. Be sure to get contact information for any other drivers or witnesses, as well as copies of any police reports.

Are rental vehicles allowed to tow?

Most companies will not allow you to tow a car or boat. Any that do allow this, you will need to let them know ahead of time that you will be towing, and likely will pay a towing charge. You may need to pay for a tow bar to be fitted.

Dropping off your vehicle at the end of the hire

What are my responsibilities when returning my motorhome rental?

You’ll be expected to return your motorhome during the rental company’s office hours, unless other arrangements have been made, and in the same condition as when you received it. The interior should be clean, holding tanks emptied and gas tank filled.

Can I change the drop-off location or date?

Your rental company will try to accommodate changes to drop-off location or date, depending on availability. You may incur extra charges for these amendments.

General Questions

Why take a driving holiday with a motorhome?

Choosing a motorhome or campervan rental for your driving holiday gives you the freedom to travel at your own pace, stopping where you choose and moving on when you want to. You’ll enjoy the convenience of having your accommodation at hand, even in the remotest locations. And combining your transportation and lodging in one package offers great holiday value.

What is the difference between a Campervan, Motorhome and RV Rental?

RV, or recreational vehicle, is a very general term that covers just about any kind of camping accommodation on wheels.

Motorhomes are self-propelled and are driven rather than towed behind another vehicle. They may be large enough to carry a small car underneath the living quarters or small enough to resemble a family van. Motorhomes usually come in 4 berth and 6 berth models, ideal for families; but are often used by couples wanting more room.

Smaller 2 berth vehicles are often called campervans. Originally these were pop-top campervans, which were basically small vans similar to a Toyota Hi-Ace that had the centre part of their roof cut out and replaced with an extra pop-up roof that had canvas sides. These had the drawback that the amount of standing room in them was limited, and once the canvas become old and weathered, it often used to leak.

In about the late 1980’s these pop-tops were replaced with hi-tops. These had the full roof cut out, and replaced with a new higher fibreglass roofs. These gave a little more space for standing up, but were not very stable in strong winds. However since the 1990’s the vehicles used were replaced with larger Ford Transit, Mercedes Benz or Volkswagen vans or similar vehicles. These gave much better head room, were roomier and often had a shower and toilet. Being a larger vehicle, they had more power and were now very stable. These vehicles are ideal for couples, as they have all the facilities required for a camping holiday.

Motorhome rental search

Book Car Rental
New Zealand Holidays